Nov 9, 2007

Writing on the Wall

Last Tuesday at our new Thirst in Menomonee Falls, we talked about discernment, and we read the story in Daniel about a hand appearing out of thin air and writing a message on the king's wall. I got to thinking, wouldn't it be nice if God would do that more often? I mean, here we are trying to discern through prayer, scripture, and conversation how it is Jesus is calling each of us to follow him . . . and we're seldomly receiving a clear message.

But then I got to thinking some more. And perhaps we shouldn't be praying for God to write us a clear message on the wall. I say this for two reasons.

First, those of you who know me really well, know that I had a spiritual experience several years ago . . . a vision, to be precise. That vision was a clear answer to the question with which my friends and I were wrestling at that time. But after almost 15 years, I'm still trying to figure out what happened in that moment, what that clear sign right before my eyes means. Since that time, it's raised many more questions for me than it has answered. Responding to that moment drives my life's journey, and yet I have no idea where that journey is taking me from one day to the next.

Second, in the case of the Chaldean king in Daniel chapter 5, once he saw the hand writing on the wall, it was too late for him. He couldn't even understand the writing on the wall and needed Daniel to interpret it for him. The message was one of judgment, and he died that very night.

From these two examples, it seems to me that we can get ourselves into quite a pickle if we want to rely on a clear message or sign from God before deciding how specifically Jesus is calling us to follow him in his mission. Even when God does send us a clear sign, we spend the rest of our lives talking to others about it in order to interpret its meaning. I think that's because, when God invites us to see a bit more clearly, what is revealed is more of the divine mystery. The more intimate an invitation we receive to enter into the mind of God, the more questions are raised for us in knowing the God who is beyond all human understanding.

We journey into the great unknown, equipped not with clear understanding, but with something much better: a clear promise. We may not know what exactly God has in store for us one day to the next, but we have God's promise to provide for us when seeking first the Kingdom of God. We may not know precisely which path God wants us to take on our life's journey, but we have God's promise to be present with us, always welcoming us back when we've gone astray. We may not know unambiguously where our path will turn or hit a detour or be clearly blazed ahead of us, but we have God's promise that the destination is guaranteed.

And that promise is the freedom to live today in the mystery of life, into the divine mystery in our midst. If we sit around on our duffs waiting to see the writing on the wall before deciding our course of action in following Jesus, then it's safe to assume we won't like the message, because we'll have missed out on embarking on the journey in God's presence.

[Image posted by Stephen Duster on www.sanddust.com]

6 comments:

Gloria said...

It's funny how answers oftentimes just lead to more questions! I think you hit the nail on the head with the idea of God's promise. That is what sustains us and encourages us. All we see are little steps along the way, often just the very next step. We very rarely are able to see far ahead on the path God has for us! But we know that God has a path.

Although, maybe God could leave us little message like "You're doing great," or "Hello, this is God, I'll be handling all your problems today! I will not need your help. Have a nice day," on a wall. Oh wait, I already have that last one on my refridgerator door.

paul m. said...

so thirst has moved to menomenee falls, eh? my godfather is a pastor there. i think it's gloria dei church. (cue Lutheran version of it's a small world, after all).

Anonymous said...

Thanks for articulating the joys of riding this roller-coaster called our faith journey!

And it is true that delving into the world of the divine brings about questions...One bible study technique that i use is taking a passage, and having the youth only write questions! It is always fruitful...
God bless

lotusreaching said...

I was struck by your observation that when the handwriting's on the wall, it's already too late. And as you point out, it certainly was for the king.

Which goes to your overall point: faith is by definition a journey of faith with a living God who provides assurance in her promises and NOT certainty. Certainty is the hand writing on the wall. And it is also a wonderful way to circumnavigate the "relationship" at the core of our faith, with Jesus who is the "way, the truth, and the life."

When we long for the handwriting, we are longing for something other than relationship. We are hungering for discrete knowledge of things to come so that we can better handle and manipulate our lives in relationship to it...and perhaps save ourselves.

But the journey we're called to asks us to place our lives in the nail scarred hands of another.

As Whitman once wrote, "I chose the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."

Thanks Kevan.

nathan

Unknown said...

Hello Kevan.

Thank you Brother for including my music/CD cover as a part of your blog.

I thought I'd share with you and your readers how I came up with the theme of this CD. It was during the summer of 1999 and I was currently working on two other music projects with two different musicians. Right in the middle of everything I was asked by a close friend/bother in the Lord if I'd stay and watch his home while he and his family were away on vacation.

While I was there I started being overwhelmed by this song that would not leave my mind and as I played it out on the piano and developed the melody into a full composition it stay with me 24/7 until the song was completed. The entire time I kept hearing the words: "the writing on the wall." Before and after this event I studied the book of Daniel. So that is how I named the song including the theme for this CD. Now that same summer there was another song that came to me even stronger and you can all read more about it here: "A Prayer for Jerusalem"

http://www.sanddust.com/wimpy/pluplayer.html


Steve

Unknown said...

Hello Again Friends.

Well these are most certainly interesting times. The time has comes (as Solomon would say) for me to share something that I produced in 2007. I grew up hearing this song and I believe it fits perfectly for the current time.

http://www.sanddust.com/justacloserwalk.html

I pray that the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit will bless and comfort you as you listen. Please feel free to share this link with those you are led to (Matthew 28).


Steve