Oct 1, 2007

Relational Truth

Isn't this the question of postmodernism?

We can make up our own "truths" and "facts". The Bush administration proved that point in selling out the American people, the Iraqi people, and the world. The first rule of advertising (or spinning politics for that matter) is that perception is reality. What I perceive to be true is what I hold to be true. Is there any wonder, then, that the shift into postmodernism makes many people nervous and anxious, especially in the church?

We Christians claim to know the truth, but our message is often ignored due to how people perceive the church. So to share the truth, we have to change how people perceive us. One way to change perception is for the church to be hip and trendy.

Sellouts. (I won't name names.)

We don't have to kiss the culture. We certainly don't have to lie in bed with it. And although it may be fun, we don't have to go clubbing with Paris Hilton and a bottle of Jim Bean.

We simply have to be authentic, committed-to-the-core-of-our-being, disciples of Jesus. We change people's perception of us by allowing our selves to be changed by Jesus in everything we do.

For example, the common critique of moderns against postmodernism is that postmodernism makes truth relative. Wrong. Truth is not relative; truth is relational.

If Mother Theresa were to tell me, "God is love", then I perceive that as a true statement. My relation to her tells me she lived her life committed and authentic to that statement.

If Osama bin Laden tells me, "God is love", then I perceive that same statement as false. Jihad is inauthentic and uncommitted to the God who is love.

For that matter, if George W. Bush tells me, "God is love," I'd have to think a long while about that one.

Postmodern people will accept the truth of Christianity when they perceive Christians seeking first God's reign 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. They'll see that our truth is not a proposition; he is the person we call Jesus. When they experience him through us, their perception will change.

So when it comes to postmodernism, stop bein a hater. Stop being an ecclesial player. Start following Jesus with every ounce of energy you can muster.

(photo from http://www.droppingknowledge.org/cms/?q=qa/term/22 )

4 comments:

lotusreaching said...

"Truth isn't relative; it's relational," sums it up.

Which is why evangelism in our new world is such hairy thing, and why the "Identity 2.0" of the faith becomes so important. This is how I put it in another dialogue recently: This is the church of the 21st century and mirrors what in the IT world is called "Identity 2.0" - that our consciousness and being as Christians is NO LONGER determined by our denominational silos of affiliation but rather Christ ALIVE and ACTIVE in each of us through community.

Christ in us becomes the authentication of our discipleship (it always has been), and THIS relationship becomes the authenticator of the Christian story in all our other relationships.

Which is why authenticity and congruity of life become such important things.

You are right Kevan. Truth is relational.

And can I just say, for all her faults, I think Paris Hilton is hot...

Anonymous said...

Speaking of truths, you should look up the real meaning behind jihad, not the one that you propose here which is a terrorist's definition of jihad. Terrorist use of "jihad" is not the same as the jihad of Islam.

Kevan D Penvose said...

Point taken. You are correct. But, within the context of what I wrote, I think it is clear how I was using the term "jihad". Next time I will be more specific.

Kevan D Penvose said...

More on the anonymous comment about the meaning of the term "jihad": this comment actually proves my point that truth and meaning are relational.

I used the term in the context of bin Laden, in which case my relation to bin Laden as an evil terrorist both (a) indicates bin Laden's twisted meaning of jihad (it is not my proposed meaning) and (b) this same relationship to bin Laden gives me cause to be suspicious of his proposed meaning of the term.

So as a postmodern, I would remain open to finding the meaning of jihad in other contexts, as the anonymous commenter suggests. My relation to muslims I know and how they speak of "jihad" would provide a different context to understand the meaning of the term differently.